Students at Manhattanville's International Student Orientation. Sunday, August 20, 2023.

Current International Students

All international students attending Manhattanville College must check-in with the Office of International Student Services at the start of every semester/term/module/session. 

Contact Us


Current International Students

Important Manhattanville Resources

Financial Aid - for financial aid, scholarships, and Federal Work-Study Employment

Student Accounts - for payment, loan information, and student health insurance.

The Registrar - obtain your official transcripts and enrollment verification.

Check in with the OISS!

Manhattanville is required to report your attendance to the USCIS. Not participating is not an option. You will have difficulties the next time you enter the U.S.

Step 1: Gather Your Immigration Documents

  • You will need your passport and I-94 to check-in

Step 2: I-94 Retrieval

Step 3: Check-in Online

  • Whether you traveled outside the U.S. or not. Use this new Check-in Form.




Maintain Your Student Immigration Status

To find all you need to know about maintaining your status as a full-time student in the U.S. Visit the Homeland Security - Study in the States website.
If you are planning to leave the country for a vacation, please see the OISS for a travel signature on your I-20. This applies to all F-1 and J-1 students: ELI, undergraduate and graduates. Don't wait until the last minute; plan ahead a few weeks. Without a valid signature, re-entry to the United States may be difficult and require time-consuming and expensive paperwork.

F-1 and J-1 visas can only be renewed outside of the U.S. Your visa can expire as long as you have an active I-20/DS-2019 and attending classes, it only means you will have to renew the next time you go home. Come to the OISS for a more detailed explanation.

For up-to-date information from the U.S. government on visa renewal visit Travel.State.Gov

We have arrangements with a shuttle service that comes directly to campus. Shuttles drop-off and pick-up in front of Spellman Hall. To make a reservation or prepay your travel with the shuttle, use the link below. Please be advised that the shuttle only goes to JFK and LGA. If you are flying to EWR you must make different arrangements. Also for those traveling from our local HPN, the #12 public bus stop both there and our campus. 

Please be advised that if you do not have U.S. based health insurance coverage, the college requires enrollment in a health plan offered through Manhattanville.  This health plan meets minimum standards necessary for J-1 visa issuance and supports F-1 visas.  Coverage is for a calendar year starting Aug 1.  The only period to waive Manhattanville coverage and to show proof of existing U.S. based plans is at the beginning of each academic year.  More information is available at Those in programs that start at different times of the year, contact the OISS for more information.

Educational Employment Options

First Year students with F-1 visa can work only on-campus, not off-campus, in the first year of their academic program. 

The OISS and the College are not allowed to give tax advice.  We have partnered with Sprintax who provides software to assist students with their tax compliance.  There is a 24/7 helpline and a YouTube page full of helpful videos. Learn how to file your taxes on the Sprintax page.

F-1 students may also be eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for 12 months. The OPT can be used before and/or after the end of the program. Students normally apply for OPT during the last semester of their program. OPT must be related to the student’s area of study.  

The application timeline for OPT is strictly regulated. Students can apply for OPT 90 days before program completion, and 60 days after program completion.  

Example: OPT Application Timeline 


Students do not need a job offer to apply for an OPT. At the start of your last semester before graduation, you are advised to consult with the OISS about your OPT because OPT is competitive and has a long application process. 

Apply for OPT: 

  1. Request OISS to endorse your I-20 and make a notation in the SEVIS  
  1. You file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization with USCIS (US Citizenship and Immigration Services), accompanied by the required fee and the supporting documentation.  
  1. After you submitted I-765 online, you receive an I-797C Notice of Action receipt immediately 
  1. USCIS will send you an employment authorization card (EAD)by mail in around 1- 3 months.  
  1. You should receive your Social Security card in the mail two weeks after receiving your EAD card. Employment starts on the start date of your approved EAD card. 


For F-1 students studying Sciences, Technologies, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) programs, they are eligible for another 24 months of OPT.  


OPT and Reporting 

DHS requires students to report all periods of employment and unemployment while authorized for OPT and changes of address. 
Updates must be reported within 10 days of the start of your OPT work authorization and within 10 days of any subsequent change. Create a SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) Portal. 

For detailed information on OPT and reporting, Click here 

J-1 students are entitled to 18-month academic training. An employment letter is required to apply for academic training. 

Center of Career Development (CCD) assists F-1/J-1 students in searching for internships and OPT employment opportunities and provides training on Handshake. For internships, students should make an appointment with Cassie Robbins, Internship /Career Coordinator of CCD. Email: 

You can drive in NYS with a valid driver's license from another state or country. You don’t need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a NYS resident. 

A foreign driver's license allows you to drive in NYS. You are not required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in NYS, but the permit verifies, in several languages, that you have a valid foreign driver's license. This is helpful to police officers who can’t read the language on their foreign driver's license. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit.

If you decide to get a NY State driver's license it will only be issued the length of your immigration documents. Important links Drivers from Other Nation


Academic Success Services

Accessibility, Internships, Tutoring, Writing

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) provides free Peer Tutoring sessions for undergraduate students. Through the ARC, students receive individual and group support in a variety of subjects at all levels of the curriculum.

The Center for Student Accessibility partners with students to empower them to take ownership of their college journey. The Center also strives to increase positive dialogue surrounding disabilities, promoting the "people first" approach and communicating the message that disability is an integral part of diversity.

The Andrew Bodenrader Center for Academic Writing and Composition has a mission is to provide Manhattanville students with support at any stage of the writing process. We strive to build the confidence of student writers through encouraging, collaborative one-to-one sessions with peer tutors, graduate Writing Center Fellows, and Academic Writing faculty. 

The Center for Career Development is committed to individualized career exploration counseling, self-assessment, skill development, and utilizing internship and job search strategies that empower students to take ownership in their personal and professional success.

Additional Academic Services

The Valiant Advising Team supports students by providing information about academic policies and degree requirements, assists students in the course selection process, and offers students support and appropriate referrals to other campus resources.

The Library offers impressive collections and outstanding services to help all of our students succeed in the classroom and beyond.

The Registrar's Office has the responsibility to maintain timely and accurate records of the academic progress of all students while upholding the privacy and security of those records.

The Office of Instructional Technology is here to support students, faculty, and staff towards successful teaching and learning. Get tips about online courses, find support, and more.

The Office of the Provost provides valuable information and links to resources for faculty, and for staff who work for, or with the faculty in furthering our educational mission.

Contact Us

  • International Student Services

    Regina Moores
    Regina Moores 
    International Student Advisor 
    Spellman Hall, G23 

    Contact for questions about how to maintain student visa status.

    Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 9 AM-5 PM