Jump Start Program
Jump Start Program Overview
Jump Start is an accelerated master's degree and teacher certification program that begins twice a year (in fall and spring). Through an intensive series of courses, Jump Start prepares you to begin teaching in your own classroom within one year. While teaching full time, you continue to complete your master’s degree and earn New York State Initial Certification. Many of our students optimize their employment opportunities by earning an additional certification in special education.
Why Jump Start?
- Strong and experienced faculty help make learning experiential, collaborative, and interactive.
- Students will join a cohort and attend workshops that build cohesiveness throughout their program and provide support during their early years of teaching.
- Evening classes, from 4:20 PM to 9:30 PM, make it easier for you to be able to continue working.
- Some students can complete their master's degree in less than two years.
- During your first year of teaching, Jump Start provides a Manhattanville mentor who will visit once a week to help develop unit and lesson plans and design classroom management protocols.
- Tuition discounts are available for students seeking to be certified in high-needs areas and for Returning Peace Corps Volunteers.
New York State Initial Certification is available in the following areas:
- MPS — Early Childhood Education and Special Education (Birth-Grade 2)
- MPS — Childhood Education and Special Education (Grades 1-6)
- MAT — Computer Science Education (All Grades)
- MPS — English and Special Education (Grades 5-12)
- MPS — Mathematics and Special Education (Grades 5-12)
- MPS — Science and Special Education (Grades 5-12)
- MPS — Social Studies and Special Education (Grades 5-12)
- MPS — TESOL - Teaching English as a Second Language (All Grades)
- MAT — Spanish Language Education (Grades 7-12)
Post-Masters certifications are available to candidates who already have a master's degree in their field and seek initial certification. For more information, contact Graduate Admissions.
When can I start?
Twice a year, at the end of August or the beginning of February. Jump Start students take a specific series of courses that prepare them to apply for an Internship Certificate; the Internship Certificate allows you to teach full time while you complete your degree and certification.
When do the classes meet?
All Jump Start classes meet evenings, from 4:20 PM to 9:30 PM.
How do I apply?
You can send in either a paper or an online application. Accompanying that application must be official transcripts from all institutions attended, two letters of recommendation (either academic or professional), a 2-3 page personal statement addressing why you would like to become a teacher, and the application fee. Once we have received all of your documents, your application will be processed and you will be invited in for an interview with the Director of Jump Start. Please call Graduate Admissions for more information.
What is the difference between Jump Start and the traditional Master's degree program? In the Jump Start program, you will be teaching in your own classroom in 7 or 12 months, depending on when you begin. You will continue to take courses while you are teaching in order to complete your Master's degree and certification requirements. The biggest difference is that there is no student teaching component in Jump Start.
What if I've never taken an Education course before?
You do not need prior experience or education coursework to enter the program.
What can I get certified in?
Jump Start offers teacher education programs for certification in: Early Childhood Education, Childhood/Special Education, English/Special Education, Social Studies/Special Education, Mathematics/Special Education, Biology/Special Education, Chemistry/Special Education, Physics, TESOL and Spanish. Note: Students optimize their employment opportunities by earning an additional certification in Special Education. Post-Master's certification are available to candidates who already have a master's degree in their field and seek initial certification.
Are there discounts available?
Yes. There are several ways within the Jump Start program. We have a 30% discount for students interested in obtaining certification in science, math and foreign language. Manhattanville will provide a 50% tuition reduction for Returned Peace Corp Volunteers. Please check with Financial Aid for additional information.
School of EducationJessica Tully
Director of Graduate Programs
Director, Jump Start, and
Changing Suburbs Institute