Accelerated Second Degree Nursing
Accelerated Second Degree Nursing Program Overview
Manhattanville College’s accelerated Bachelor of Science (BS) in Nursing degree program allows students new to the nursing profession the opportunity to gain bachelor’s-level credentials and practical clinical experience in just four semesters.
If you completed a bachelor’s degree in a different field, our second-degree nursing program allows you to shorten the length of time it takes to complete a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
Apply to Manhattanville's second-degree nursing program with rolling admissions, and begin coursework in the spring, summer, or fall.
Overview: Accelerated BS in Nursing
With a bachelor’s degree in nursing, career opportunities expand for new and current nursing professionals. If you’re entering the field for the first time, and already have a bachelor’s degree in another field, Manhattanville’s accelerated second degree in nursing develops a range of skills in traditional nursing tasks and holistic integrative healing modalities.
After four semesters of continuous study, students in the accelerated BS in Nursing degree program will be prepared to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN) and demonstrate the academic experience necessary to, in the future, advance in their nursing careers.
This accelerated BS in Nursing program at Manhattanville exposes students to top in-person clinical experiences in the vibrant New York City area. Request information today, or check out our traditional nursing degree program for first-time college students.
The accelerated BS in Nursing program curriculum balances technology with patient connection, giving students a competitive advantage and fulfilling the latest baccalaureate essentials in nursing.
With a total of 61 course credits, the degree program includes clinical experience in our state-of-the-art Clinical Learning Laboratory. Care simulations bridge important connections between academic knowledge and clinical reasoning.
Designed to expose nursing students to many areas of the profession, the accelerated BS in Nursing program includes instruction and hands-on experience in the following areas:
- Health assessment
- Psychiatric nursing
- Ethics in nursing
- Surgical nursing
- Palliative care
- Maternity and pediatric nursing
You’ll also gain specialized practical experience in nursing leadership, patient-centered care, and population and environmental health.
Review the complete accelerated nursing program requirements in the Manhattanville College Catalog.
The Clinical Learning Laboratory provides high-fidelity clinical simulations for students to train basic skills and unique situations on campus in Purchase, NY. The second-degree nursing program curriculum also includes clinical rotation experiences in the same areas you study at your own pace online.
The accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing program at Manhattanville empowers students to practice effectively in various complex healthcare systems. Whether you enter the field in private practice, a hospital setting, or in nursing education, or you seek higher positions at your current workplace, the second-degree nursing program further develops your professional skills and technical knowledge.
The accelerated BS in Nursing program helps students advance their profession or pursue graduate nursing programs with the following skills:
- Practical use of ethical and global perspectives to infuse dignity, social justice, and enhanced communication to provide a high standard of care across diverse populations and the human lifespan in a culturally competent manner
- Effective collaboration with colleagues and patients with the goal of improved patient outcomes and safety
- Implementation of holistic healing knowledge through integrated modalities supported by evidence and the use of data management and care technology
- The ability to understand and address population health issues and health disparities
- Organizational excellence in case management and deft navigation of complex financial and regulatory healthcare systems
Manhattanville’s second degree nursing program prepares students to become eligible to sit for the NCLEX-RN licensure exam and pursue RN credentials in New York. If you pursue RN licensure outside of the state, contact your local State Board of Nursing.
Specialized Resume Enhancements
Students in Manhattanville’s second degree nursing program can explore their specific areas of interest. Along the way, students have the option to pursue specialized resume enhancements, such as certificates and digital badges.
All Manhattanville nursing students can earn a micro-credential through the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)’s End-of-Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC).
Pivoting to the nursing profession from a different field or entering it for the first time through an accelerated bachelor’s in nursing program opens various career opportunities in an in-demand field. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that the nursing profession will experience six percent growth over the next ten years by 2031.
- According to the BLS, employers seeking personnel for staff nursing roles in hospitals or inpatient settings may require prospective hires to hold bachelor’s degrees.
- Bachelor’s in nursing programs prepare students for advancement to higher levels of the profession and advanced nursing leadership careers like nurse practitioner or clinical nurse leader.
Manhattanville’s clinical learning simulations and academic training prepare students in the second-degree nursing program to design their unique career path.
Learn about the Center for Career Development's services.
This program is a second bachelor’s degree nursing program preparing nurses at the bachelor’s level. Manhattanville’s School of Nursing and Health Sciences offers the following related undergraduate and graduate health professions programs.
- Traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing–A four-year bachelor’s program for first-time college students interested in the nursing profession
- Master of Science (MS) in Nursing, Family Nurse Practitioner–A graduate nursing program preparing students to seek Family Nurse Practitioner certification in New York
- Master of Science (MS) in Nursing: Nurse Leader–A graduate nursing program ideal for students pursuing advanced clinical nurse leadership career paths
Applicants to the second-degree nursing program need to have a bachelor’s degree conferred as well as all of the pre-requisite courses completed with a grade of C+ or higher. Entrance exams such as the TEAS or HESI are not required.
To apply for admission to Manhattanville’s accelerated BS in Nursing degree program, submit:
- 300-500 word essay on why you are pursuing a career in nursing at Manhattanville
- College transcript(s) for ALL colleges attended, including degree conferral and completed/in progress pre-requisite courses
- One (1) professional or academic recommendation
When you fill out your undergraduate application, begin by selecting the nursing major and “Second Degree” as the entry type.
Contact Jessica Cox, Assistant Director of Nursing and Health Sciences Admissions at Jessica.Cox@mville.edu or 914-323-1477 to get started.
The accelerated format of this nursing program requires applicants to have an adequate introduction to certain subjects. Your transcript should display that in these prerequisite courses, you received a grade of C+ or better, haven’t failed more than one prerequisite course, and haven’t retaken more than one course. The following are prerequisite courses for the second degree Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
- Fundamentals of Psychology (3 credits minimum; 4 credits preferred)
- Statistics (3 credits)
- Chemistry with Lab (4 credits)
- Developmental Psychology – Covering Lifespan (3 credits)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology I with Lab (4 credits)
- Human Anatomy & Physiology II with Lab (4 credits)
- Microbiology with Lab (4 credits)
- College Level Writing (3 credits)
Use our self-evaluation worksheet to determine if you meet prerequisites.
Accelerated Nursing Tuition and Financial Aid
Eligible students applying to Manhattanville’s accelerated nursing degree program can complete the Federal Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal financial aid.
- Tuition for the accelerated BS in Nursing is $900 per credit.
- Students should factor in costs such as uniforms, lab and exam fees, books, travel, equipment, background check, physical exam, CPR certification, etc.
Contact the OneStop Office for additional information about Tuition, Fees, and Financing Your Education.
Apply to the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program
Manhattanville College’s accelerated Bachelor of Science (BS) in Nursing second-degree program develops future nursing leaders in four semesters. Combining high-level clinical experience with nursing courses assists students with previous degrees in pursuing their dream careers.
Ready to take charge and earn your BS in Nursing at an accelerated pace?
Request more information, or begin your application today.
School of Nursing and Health SciencesJessica Cox
Nursing, and Health Sciences Admissions