Students at Manhattanville's International Student Orientation. Sunday, August 20, 2023.

Current International Students

Welcome, International Students! 

We are here to support you throughout your academic journey.

Connect with OISS for questions about visa renewal, traveling endorsement, employment opportunities:

  • On-campus and off campus employment
  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT)
  • How to maintain your F-1/ J-1 status

Contact Us

International Student Spotlights

Current International Students

Check in with the OISS

It is mandatory for Manhattanville to report your attendance to the USCIS. All international students attending Manhattanville University must check-in with the Office of International Student Services at the start of every semester/term/module/session. Your cooperation in this matter is very important and will prevent any inconvenience in your future travel to the U.S.

Programs, Workshops and Events 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Workshops 

Friday, March 22, 2024 | 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm 

The workshop will be held via Teams. Teams meeting ID and passcode will be sent via email. Before you attend the CPT Workshop via Teams, please review the CPT section of this page under Maintain Your Student Immigration Status.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) Workshops 
  • Friday, February 2, 2024 | 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm 
  • Wednesday, March 13, 2024 | 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm 
  • Friday, April 12, 2024 | 11:00 am – 12:00 pm 

The workshop will be held via Teams. Teams meeting ID and passcode will be sent via email. Before you attend the OPT Workshop via Teams, please review the OPT section of this page under Maintain Your Student Immigration Status. page. 

Travel Walk-In Session 
  • Tuesday, February 27, 2024 | 1:00 pm – 3:00 pm  
  • Friday, March 1, 2024 |1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
  • Tuesday, April 23, 2024 | 1:30 pm – 3:30 pm  

No registration is required for the walk-in session. Bring your I-20 to get your travel signature at Spellman G-22.

Follow us on Instagram 

Stay up to date on OISS programs and activities! 

Important Manhattanville Resources

OneStop - for Academic calendar, transcript requests, enrollment verification, payment plan options, and student health insurance

Financial Aid - for financial aid, scholarships, and Federal Work-Study Employment

Student Accounts - for payment, loan information, and student health insurance

The Registrar - obtain your official transcripts and enrollment verification


Maintain Your Student Immigration Status

To find all you need to know about maintaining your status as a full-time student in the U.S. Visit the Homeland Security - Study in the States website.
If you are planning to leave the country for a vacation, please see the OISS for a travel signature on your I-20. This applies to all F-1 and J-1 students: ELI, undergraduate and graduates. Don't wait until the last minute; plan ahead a few weeks. Without a valid signature, re-entry to the United States may be difficult and require time-consuming and expensive paperwork.

F-1 and J-1 visas can only be renewed outside of the U.S. Your visa can expire as long as you have an active I-20/DS-2019 and attending classes, it only means you will have to renew the next time you go home. Come to the OISS for a more detailed explanation.

For up-to-date information from the U.S. government on visa renewal visit Travel.State.Gov

Please be advised that if you do not have U.S. based health insurance coverage, the college requires enrollment in a health plan offered through Manhattanville.  This health plan meets minimum standards necessary for J-1 visa issuance and supports F-1 visas.  Coverage is for a calendar year starting Aug 1.  The only period to waive Manhattanville coverage and to show proof of existing U.S. based plans is at the beginning of each academic year.  More information is available at Those in programs that start at different times of the year, contact the OISS for more information.

Educational Employment Options

First Year F-1 undergraduate students may work only on-campus. After your first year, you may be eligible for off-campus employment. Contact Elana Grayson, Student Employment Coordinator, if you are interested to apply for on-campus employment.

The OISS and the University are not allowed to give tax advice.  We have partnered with Sprintax who provides software to assist students with their tax compliance.  There is a 24/7 helpline and a YouTube page full of helpful videos. Learn how to file your taxes on the Sprintax page.

F-1 students are eligible for Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) / internship if they meet the following requirements.  

  • Has been lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for at least a full academic year.  
  •  Employment relates directly to your major area of study.   
  • The internship should be an integral part of your program. You are required to register for at least 1 credit.  
  • F-1 student works no more than 20 hours per week (part-time) during the semesters and more than 20 hours per week (full-time) during the breaks.  
  • One year of full-time CPT eliminates a student’s eligibility for OPT.  
  • You cannot start working until the DSO authorize the CPT in your SEVIS record.  

You apply for the internship and go through the Handshake Credit approval process. Cassie Robbins, Associate Director from the Center for Career Development can assist you with the internship search/application process.  

F-1 students may be eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) for full-time12 months. The OPT can be used before and/or after the end of the program. OPT must be related to the student’s area of study. For the best practice, F-1 students do OPT after they complete their programs. The application timeline for OPT is strictly regulated. Students can apply for OPT 90 days before program completion, and 60 days after program completion. Students do not need a job offer to apply for an OPT. At the start of your last semester before graduation, you are advised to consult with the OISS about your OPT because OPT is competitive and has a long application process. 

OPT Application Process: 

  1. Request the DSO to endorse the student’s I-20 and make a notation in the SEVIS 
  2. Within 30 days of endorsement, a student can file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization with USCIS.
  3.  Pay the application fee of $410 and supporting documentation. 
  4. After the student submitted I-765 online, they receive an I-797C Notice of Action receipt immediately
  5. USCIS will send the student an Employment Authorization Card (EAD) by mail in around 1- 3 months. 
  6. Their Social Security card will be delivered in the mail two weeks after receiving their EAD card. 
  7. Employment starts on the start date of your approved EAD card.

OISS provides OPT Workshops and guidance on the OPT application process. For F-1 students studying Sciences, Technologies, Engineering, or Mathematics (STEM) programs, they are eligible for another 24 months of OPT.  Read more about STEM OPT Extension Overview.

OPT and Reporting 

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) requires students to report all periods of employment and unemployment while authorized for OPT and changes of address. Updates must be reported within 10 days of the start of your OPT work authorization and within 10 days of any subsequent change. Create a SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) Portal. 

Center of Career Development (CCD) assists F-1/J-1 students in searching for internships and CPT/ OPT employment opportunities and provides training on Handshake. For internships, students should make an appointment with Cassie Robbins, Associate Director of CCD. Email:


J-1 students are entitled to 18-month academic training. An employment letter is required to apply for academic training.  

You can drive in NYS with a valid driver's license from another state or country. You don’t need to apply for a NYS driver license unless you become a NYS resident. 

A foreign driver's license allows you to drive in NYS. You are not required to have an International Driving Permit to drive in NYS, but the permit verifies, in several languages, that you have a valid foreign driver's license. This is helpful to police officers who can’t read the language on their foreign driver's license. Contact the authorities in your home country to get an International Driving Permit.

If you decide to get a NY State driver's license it will only be issued the length of your immigration documents. Important links Drivers from Other Nation

Getting from Airport to Manhattanville
There are many ways to get from JFK airport to the campus, simply proceed to the GROUND
TRANSPORTATION area. (We DO NOT recommend arriving at Newark airport. Newark international
airport is in New Jersey (next state over), it is more expensive).
There are four ways from JFK Airport to Manhattanville University.

Travel Time: 1.5-2 hours
Airport shuttle is cheaper than taxi, but take longer time than taxi.
a. Book a shuttle click Go Airport Shuttle online at least one week in advance
b. Book JFK Airport to Courtyard Marriott – Rye Hotel ($75)
c. Uber/Lyft from Courtyard Marriott – Rye Hotel to Manhattanville University ($20)

2. TRAIN ($21 - $47)
Travel Time: 2 -3 hours
Train is the cheapest way, but it takes longer time and more complicated to change one train to
I. Board Air Train Jamaica
• Get off at the JFK Airport Jamaica train station

II. Board the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) Far Rockaway branch train (buy tickets in ticket Machine)
• Exit train at the Grand Central Madison train station
Watch a video showing the way from JFK to Grand Central via the Long Island Railroad

III. Transfer to Metro-North-Railroad. Following signs for the Harlem Line Train (You can check the
app MTA Train Time)
• Exit train at the White Plains train station
IV. Uber/Lyft back to Manhattanville University or Take the Taxi (usually $15-$20 cash)
Walk to White Plain Bus Terminal Lane B
• Board the Bee Line 12 bus Armonk ($2-$3)
• Exit bus at the Manhattanville University stop

Download the bus schedule and the app:
Beeline 12 schedule - you can check bus schedules: Beeline 12 Bus Schedule App

Apps MTA Train Time - you can use to buy train tickets/ check train schedules
Apple: MTA Train App, Android: MTA Train App

3. TAXI ($150 - $210)
Travel Time: 1– 2 hours
Taxi from JFK to Manhattanville University is the fastest way, but expensive.



Upcoming Events


Academic Success Services

Accessibility, Internships, Tutoring, Writing

The Academic Resource Center (ARC) provides free Peer Tutoring sessions for undergraduate students. Through the ARC, students receive individual and group support in a variety of subjects at all levels of the curriculum.

The Center for Student Accessibility partners with students to empower them to take ownership of their college journey. The Center also strives to increase positive dialogue surrounding disabilities, promoting the "people first" approach and communicating the message that disability is an integral part of diversity.

The Andrew Bodenrader Center for Academic Writing and Composition has a mission is to provide Manhattanville students with support at any stage of the writing process. We strive to build the confidence of student writers through encouraging, collaborative one-to-one sessions with peer tutors, graduate Writing Center Fellows, and Academic Writing faculty. 

The Center for Career Development is committed to individualized career exploration counseling, self-assessment, skill development, and utilizing internship and job search strategies that empower students to take ownership in their personal and professional success.

Additional Academic Services

The Valiant Advising Team supports students by providing information about academic policies and degree requirements, assists students in the course selection process, and offers students support and appropriate referrals to other campus resources.

The Library offers impressive collections and outstanding services to help all of our students succeed in the classroom and beyond.

The Registrar's Office has the responsibility to maintain timely and accurate records of the academic progress of all students while upholding the privacy and security of those records.

The Office of Instructional Technology is here to support students, faculty, and staff towards successful teaching and learning. Get tips about online courses, find support, and more.

The Office of the Provost provides valuable information and links to resources for faculty, and for staff who work for, or with the faculty in furthering our educational mission.

Contact Us

  • International Student Services

    Regina Moores
    Regina Moores 
    International Student Advisor 
    Spellman Hall, G23 

    Contact for questions about how to maintain student visa status.

    Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday, 9 AM-5 PM